The Lebanese Athletics Federation organized today morning, the Lebanese Cross Country Individual Championship – Melanie Freiha’s Cup, at Notre Dame de Jamhour field. It was divided into four categories: Men 17+, Women 17+, Boys -17 and Girls -17.
Melanie still holds the 2000 meters steeplechase record for both the Youth and Juniors category. She used to be a very strong opponent in the cross country and also was a great high jumper! Today, not only the athletes from her club ran for her, everyone who ran today, ran for Melanie. Some came to run only because its Melanie Frieha’s Cup, to honor her, others were not ready for this championship but did their best to complete the race for her.
Jesse Owens used to say that “Friendship born on the field of athletics strife are the real gold of competition. Awards become corroded, friends gather no dust”. This friendship will never die, it will last forever, until we meet again.
Athletics is about competing and winning, but after the race, off the track, we are one big family of athletes, coaches and referees from different clubs and religions, united by the friendship born on the track.
The Lebanese Athletics Federation offered a trophy for Melanie’s family. A great gesture from the federation followed by a poem made especially for Melanie.
- Bilal Awada (Lebanese Army): 30:18
- Hussein Kais (Lebanese Army): 30:21
- Ali Sweidan (Lebanese Army): 30:22
- Randa Darkoub (Inter-Lebanon): 19:05
- Lama Jamo (CSJ): 19.26
- Lory Tashjian (Champville) 19.48
- Ahmad Chour (Phoenicia): 12:10
- Gharbis Chekridjian (Inter-Lebanon): 12:27
- Abdalla El Kadry (Phoenicia): 12:45
- Sara Joe Kortbawi (Champville): 10:02
- Ghiya Mtairek (Phoenicia): 10:11
- Farah Tayyar (CSJ): 10:53