|Now that there are still 3 days for the opening of the 30th Summer Olympic Games London 2012, where all the athletes from around the globe are coming to compete with Peace, Loyalty and Respect, raising the flag of their nation, preparing for that moment months and years ago.. For some of them, they waited this moment all their life just to be part of "The Biggest Event", when others are dreaming of being legends and are counting their medals to go into history. Between the two categories held the one who is searching for the glory, searching for that unique medal to come. These are the Olympics; they are about Dreaming Believing and Achieving it.
For Lebanon, since the Bronze medal of Hassan Bechara in the Men's Greco-Roman super heavyweight (Wrestling) at the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games, we didn't win any Olympic medal. Today, 11 Lebanese athletes in 8 different games will fight for the fifth Olympic medal for Lebanon and maybe the 1st Gold! In Helsinki 1952, Zakaria Chihab and Khalil Taha won the first 2 Olympic medals for Lebanon! Zakaria won Silver in the Men's Greco-Roman bantamweight (Wrestling), and Khalil won the bronze in Men's Greco-Roman welterweight (Wrestling). 20 years later, the Great Mohamad Traboulsi won the 3rd Olympic medal for Lebanon in Men's middleweight (Weightlifting) winning a silver medal in Munich 1972. The 4th and last but not least Olympic medal is for Hassan Bechara in the Men's Greco-Roman super heavyweight (Wrestling) at the 1980 Moscow Olympic Games.
In London, 5 athletes were directly qualified for the Games:
- Zain Shaito in Fencing (21 years old): Men's Individual Foil Tuesday, 31 July 2012 10:30
- Mona Shaito in Fencing (18 years old): Women's Individual Foil Saturday, 28 July 2012 10:30
- Tvine Moumjoghlian in Table Tennis (23 years old): Women's Singles Saturday, 28 July 2012 09:00
- Andrea Paoli in Taekwondo (20 years old): Women's -57kg Thursday, 09 August 2012 09:00
- Edouard Maalouf in Paralympics
6 Wild Card Invitations:
- Karen Chammas in Judo (19 years old): Women's -63kg Tuesday, 31 July 2012 09:30
- Ray Bassil in Shooting (23 years old): Women's Trap Saturday, 04 August 2012 09:00
- Wael Kobrosly in Swimming (24 years old): Men's 100m Breaststroke Saturday, 28 July 2012 11:53
- Katia Bachrouche in Swimming (22 years old): Women's 800m Freestyle Thursday, 02 August 2012 10:19
- Gretta Taslakian in Track and Field Athletics (26 years old): Women's 200m Monday, 06 August 2012 19:20
- Ahmad Hazer in Track and Field Athletics (22 years old): 110m Hurdles Tuesday, 07 August 2012 10:10
These athletes will have the pride to represent Lebanon at the 2012 London Olympic Games with a mission to bring Medals for their nation and enter the Olympic history like 4 of our athletes already did! Let us support them to achieve greatness!